Last day at Bryn Moel

Security crew at Bryn Moel

I didn’t take my camera to the barn when I went to work in the morning, so nothing to record the six+ wheelbarrows of muck taken from the stalls and dumped, the leftover haylage (fermented hay) I took  from the stalls to a nearby pasture, the sweeping and raking done in the front yard, the setting up the stalls for the evening with haylage and feed, which is what I have been doing in the mornings 8-noon. There are usually two of us and today — my last day — Tim was the second person. Francine, a local young woman, has been the usual second person, but was off. She is getting ready to go to university and was studying to be a veterinarian. She has been riding with Tim for years.

Francine worked chores to pay for her riding time and lessons, Here she is riding Dreamy who has competed successfully in the European western competitions.

I have enjoyed watching Cowboy Tim teach people and horses after the work is done. So for the past five days I’ve not left the place except to make a wine and nacho run, and to attend a concert in Llangollen. The nacho run was to picking up what I needed to make a nacho casserole. More on cooking in a separate entry.

Cowboy Tim doesn’t have his cowboy hat on, but that doesn’t mean he hasn’t stopped trying to convince Cath to ride her 17.2 Irish draught cross in a western saddle.

I’ve even ridden a tiny bit, twice. Basically I have gotten on the offered horse and walked, did some turns, tried trotting. Felt like I was back in novice class. (It been awhile since I’ve ridden.) Both horses were light and respond well to leg pressure.

Thursday, Cowboy Tim had Lydia riding her thoroughbred without a bridle. Her horse Inca came in with dangerous horse syndrome: rearing, bucking, coming at people. It’s a long story about what was going on with him, but in short, Inca had back pain from what was diagnosed as a kissing spine. The memory of that pain and his reaction is what Tim has worked him through, to the point that Lydia was riding him at a walk, trot, canter with no bridle. (And Tim has her riding on a western saddle.)

Cowboy Tim with hat helps Lydia with the leg commands on the different stages of opening and closing a gate.

I did some body work on Inca and gave Lydia a lesson on some things she can do and was rewarded with a bottle of pink moscato set on my doorstep 2 days later. It’s not bad for a sweet wine.

Last night I went with Tim to a concert of junior high/high school aged students from four counties. It was a performance of a Cerddorfa Linynnol (string orchestra) and a Cerddorfa Chwyth (wind orchestra). Incredible music and display of talent. Aunt Pam (of the trip to Tywyn and shetlands) was there; it was her grandson performing in the string orchestra. Afterwards I experienced Mr. Toad’s wild ride, when Tim decided to take a different route home on a curvy, one track road running on the side of a high hill. And with it being dark (late evening) I saw the “cats eyes” mid road as we sped by. Cowboy Tim likes to drive fast — very fast. But I’m still in one piece.

So tomorrow, it’s clean the apartment and head out to Pentrefoelas for chocolate.

One thought on “Last day at Bryn Moel

  1. Nice that you were able to get on a horse after doing so much work for/with them. I can understand somebody not wanting to heave a western saddle atop a 17.2-hand horse. I would be resistant, too. And how nice to read about a problem horse being turned around and becoming a reliable mount for a rider.

Thanks for the visit. Comments are always read, appreciated and responded to..

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s